It’s no secret to anyone that I love to read, and has always loved to read. Growing up I loved Media Center in school and visiting our Public Library. I was always so lucky that we lived in places with amazing libraries. Although I do sell Usborne Books, as well as love to buy the girls books, I love to expose the girls to the Public Library as well.
8 Reasons You Should Take Your Kids to the Public Library
1. Storytime: We loved taking the girls to Storytime when they were babies. It’s free, they get to see other little ones as well as they would have puppets and sing songs that had actions. My favorite to do was always Jack Jumped Over the Candlestick. They have different storytimes geared toward different ages. We’re also very lucky to have three libraries very close, and many more throughout Orlando.
2. An Experience: Giving them an experience. You can get your children their own library card at any time. At this point Stella has her own because we felt she was ready for it and would understand what it is. We haven’t gotten one yet for Sadie as she doesn’t quite understand it yet. We made it a big deal and she was so excited. She’s also so excited to check out her own books and get the receipt!
3. Responsibility: In addition to having their own library card, giving them responsibility. Picking out books, helping you to check out books, and helping you to return the books! Stella loves putting the books in the return slot.
4. Activities: Libraries do events, activities, crafts and other things for kids of all ages. Even just looking at the three branches around me in the next few days they have things like:
- Storytime with the Chick-Fil-A Cow
- Pajama Jamboree
- Bubble Playtime
- Family Yoga
- Guitar Sing-A-Long
- Angel Paws to Read
- Community Helper Storytime
5. Options: As much as I would love to buy all the books in the world, it isn’t going to happen. Reading helps your kids vocabulary, helps them learn, helps you to bond and is an excellent activity! They are going to have so many different subjects they want to explore. We’ve gone through the dancer phase, the counting phase and many others.
6. Options for YOU: Is your child so obsessed with a certain book that you have considered hiding it so you don’t have to read it again? This not only gives you options, but the easy ability to just easily return any books that you don’t like.
7. Convenience and Technology: Most libraries have many borrowing options. Our Public Library does home deliver. What? That’s what I said and it is amazing. You have to go there to return them but it is so worth it. You may not have that option, but often they will be able to do interlibrary loan if you are looking for something specific and hold books for you.
8. Being a Part of the Community and Creating Memories: This statue is in front of the Windermere Public Library. We have pictures of my niece in front of it and many other families that I know also have pictures of their kids in front of it. It’s a special place.
The Public Library holds a place in my heart and I’m so happy to know that my girls love it too. Do you visit the library with your kids? What’s your favorite part?